TopSoccer is a FALL ONLY program.
To register for the Fall 2013 TOPSoccer program, Click Here
Interested in volunteering? Please read this important message before you complete the Buddy Application
For general information about the MSI TOPSoccer/Adaptive Program, specific information about the upcoming season, or how to volunteer, please read on.....
MSI's TOPSoccer/Adaptive Program is designed for young athletes ages 3-21 with disabilities such as intellectual and closely related developmental disabilities, severe learning disabilities, autism, Downs Syndrome, muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy, and impaired vision and hearing.
Emphasis is placed on development, training, and participation, rather than on competition. By its very nature, ADAPTIVE soccer requires adaptation to each individual player and to the group of players present at each session. Coaches and volunteers strive to build the confidence and positive energy necessary to generate enjoyment of the soccer and team experiences as well as a continuing mastery of basic soccer skills. This program provides a great opportunity for children with special needs to learn new skills, build physical fitness and self-esteem, and have fun playing soccer.
Soccer is a universal, simple, and therefore highly adaptive sport. The TOPSoccer program is a 6 or 7 week Fall program and is administered by qualified instructors and specially-trained volunteer soccer buddies. For Fall 2013, the program will be held on the following Sundays:
November 3 (tentative)
On October 27 or November 3, the program will conclude with the fantastic TOPS festival, a day full of excitement, pomp, and circumstance!!
The TOPSoccer Leagues are:
1) Elementary League- Sundays from 12:00-1:00 p.m. at Potomac Community Center: The Elementary League is designed for kids in grades 2-4, or 5 and offers skill training and small game play with Buddy volunteers. If you have a child who has been participating in TOPS, you may wish to consider the Middle School League (see below). The Elementary League will also include YAP (Young Athletes Program) for children ages 3-4-5. This skills program will be run alongside the Elementary League and will focus on very basic soccer skills and the concept of following sports directions.
2) Middle School League- Sundays from 1:30-3:00 p.m. at Potomac Community Center: Designed for kids in 5th-8th/9th grades, this program offers practice and game play with Unified Partners from MSI Classic and Rec teams. Two MSI teams and their coaches will train with our TOPS players and play 7v7 games in preparation for play in the end of year tournament at a location TBD. We will invite teams from MD and VA to join us in a festival day of round robin play. (If enough kids sign up from a given school, we can create a “school team” within the Middle School League and hope to offer a mid-week practice for additional skill development.)
3) High School Unified League- Sundays from 3:30-5:00 p.m. at Potomac Community Center: Designed for kids in grades 9-12, this program offers some skill practice, but mostly game play with high school-age volunteer Unified Partners from our community. There are two levels of play, and everyone has a blast!!
In order to be successful, the TOPSoccer Program depends on the involvement of many volunteers ... both on the field and in the development process.
Volunteers needed are:
1) Youth volunteers
aged 12 or older to help with the elementary and middle school programs (This is an approved SSL program)
2) High school and college aged volunteers
to help with the high school program
3) Adult volunteers and MSI coaches
to share their experience volunteering in any of the three programs. (Each year, the programs have benefited tremendously from the involvement of several MSI coaches and the players on their teams.)
MSI Coaches: The TOPSoccer program needs you AND your players!!. If you and players from your team would like to volunteer to help, please contact Pam Yerg at firstname.lastname@example.org
A special volunteer orientation will be held at the Potomac Community Center (11315 Falls Rd, Potomac) on Monday, August 19 from 6:30-8:30 pm.
If you are interested in being involved or if you have additional questions, please also feel free to contact Pam Yerg at 301.424.3083 or email@example.com